Table of Contents
Why is it essential to maintain oral health?
You need to keep these bacteria under control. It is possible by taking good care of your oral health, that is, by brushing daily, twice a day, and flossing. If you don’t take proper care or maintain oral health or hygiene, the bacteria levels get disturbed. It can often lead to some grave oral ailments like gum sickness and tooth decay. The treatments of these illnesses are very painful, although some medications or remedies are available like painkillers, anti-depressants, etc. but these reduce the flow of saliva.
Saliva neutralizes the substances of food and acids formed by the bacteria, thus providing one with safeguards from microbes, which multiply and culminate into illnesses. Studies have also shown that bacteria linked with a big and severe gum disease act as an add-on to some diseases or illnesses.
Some of the common oral diseases are:
1. According to World Health Organization, more than 60% of children suffer from dental cavities. Plaque building up on teeth mainly causes these. One of the standard treatments for cavities is fillings, but if the tooth gets destroyed, the dentist may either choose to take it out or cap it using a dental crown.
2. A common oral disease which occurs when bacterial infection takes place in the nerve of a tooth is tooth abscess. Acute pain in the tooth, fever, sensitivity to food items, etc. is some of its symptoms.
3. There are a variety of gum diseases that can happen to people. Some people suffer from swollen or bleeding gums, while some have tooth loss. It starts with the irritation of soft tissues alongside gums induced by plaque, which makes gums to detach with teeth, resulting in either tooth loss or an increase in infection.
4. About 40% of people encounter mouth injuries due to violence or accidents. These are very common in sports, so it is advisable to wear a mouthguard while playing on fields. However, in case of a mouth injury, one must see a dentist as soon as possible.
How can you maintain your oral health or hygiene?
1. Use a brush with soft bristles; you should floss and brush your teeth for a minimum two times a day.
2. Use a fluoride paste.
3. If food grains are still present, after brushing and flossing, then use a mouthwash to pull those out.
4. Get your teeth cleaned and checked regularly.
5. Limit the consumption of sugar and tobacco.
People need to be aware of oral health and hygiene, as a tooth is the strongest bone present in the human body. Having healthy teeth makes you look good and radiant. If you lose teeth or have decayed teeth, daily and regular activities become so difficult, like chewing, speaking clearly, etc. Treatment for any oral disease is both expensive and painful.