As per statistical data, it has been revealed that approximately 75% of Americans in the age group ranging between 20 years and 59 years have reported this condition.
However, the good news is that the condition is treatable, and you can approach experts and medical professionals that deal with this problem that can guide you better to deal with it like Maranatha Medical Plaza.
Table of Contents
Causes of sleep disorder
The causes for a sleep disorder are many, and the prominent ones are as follows-
Frequent urination at night is known as nocturia. This usually prevents you from having a night of uninterrupted sleep. It happens due to hormonal imbalance and if there is any ailment of the urinary tract.
Allergies due to cold, cough, and any ailment related to the respiratory tract can affect your sleep. This is because these conditions cause a lot of discomforts, and if you have breathlessness or blocked nasal passage, you cannot have a good sleep.
• Stress and anxiety
Meeting deadlines, competition, business trips, and achieving targets can lead to stress and anxiety. Not only that, coping up with the rat race is equally disturbing. All this contribute to lack of sleep. Aside from the above, other reasons include chronic pain.
Symptoms of sleep disorder
Check out the common signs of the disorder below. The intensity of the symptoms may vary from one person to another. No two individuals have the same set of symptoms.
• Difficulty falling asleep or you wake up just after having slept for few minutes abruptly.
• You feel tired during the daytime.
• Difficulty focusing on your daily chores and performing normal activities on a day-to-day basis.
• You tend to fall asleep during the daytime the moment you get some leisure time.
Treatment for a sleep disorder
This is a treatable condition, and you can opt for one of the following treatment procedures depending on your prevailing state and type of medication that will be beneficial for you.
1. You can be given sleeping pills.
2. Melatonin supplements have been found to be effective in treating this disorder.
3. If lack of sleep is due to any of the diseases mentioned above like diabetes, nocturia, allergies, or pain, the underlying cause has to be treated first.
4. For disorders like sleep apnea, breathing devices are used, and surgery offers relief too.
5. Making adequate lifestyle changes also help in controlling the symptoms.
6. If you reduce stress and anxiety, you will get the desired results.
7. Try to avoid caffeine intake at bedtime or a few hours before you retire to bed. Caffeine tends to keep you awake.
If you want to have a peaceful sleep, follow the above for optimum results.