Exams can make you nervous but a commonplace mistake, in this case, is to simply study and reread your lectures and different notes, so that you expect to recall all you want. This is not going to be
a hit because the exam will almost certainly test your ability to apply what you have learned and not just what you memorized – yes, your understanding of such intellectual material.
If this is the case, it is most likely that your study technique is not favorable of applying those memorized content. Why? Many students are familiar with cramming, ranging from memorization of simple sentences, complex sentences, theories, laws and mathematical formulas.
However, you probably missed this again, ‘memorization doesn’t have to be cramming’. As a matter of fact, you can memorize and still retain the information for a good length of time only if you do this right.
You need to actively think about the ideas now not just research them hurriedly. To try this you need to exercise active learning, no longer passive.
Effortful learning is about understanding and using the data, testing your knowledge and the use of it to construct something. Passive learning is getting to know by way of rote without actual knowledge of the subject matter. Without active learning, we neglect loads of data very quickly after we first encounter
Note: Active learning is an effortful involvement of ‘note-taking and self-testing’ while reading. On the other hand, passive learning is less effortful, if not lazy.
Making notes more memorable is key to memorizing at best:
- ☆Make sure you make meaning of the whole thing in your notes as it very difficult to bear in mind something which you do not understand.
- ☆Use your own words – test yourself by paraphrasing the original text offhand.
- ☆Comprehend how these thoughts relate to other material you are analyzing.
- ☆Use color and shade to make specific thoughts or principles stand out.
- ☆Use structure and consisting of minds maps that will help you remember – reviewing and trying out is key here. An effective procedure is to simply schedule the review, probably to study your notes right after a lecture, then possibly the next day, then the subsequent week, then the following month.
- ☆Also, understanding your learning style can assist you in making a decision on how to solve an intellectual problem by the way of writing notes (visual), discussing with colleagues (auditory), or by doing (kinesthetic).
As a rule, consider:
- ☆Ensuring what you attempt to examine is properly broken down into viable sections which you can understand bit by bit. Plan normal opinions of your notes.
- ☆Testing yourself and mainly explaining ideas to others can help restore ideas to your memory.
- ☆Using mind maps to for extra structured complex information.
- ☆Using pix, photos and shade as part of your notes can help your visualization [even during exam].
- ☆Setting apart information into conceivable pieces will let you recall, specifically useful for remembering numbers.
- ☆Using color-coded flashcards to examine discrete pieces of statistics, such as mathematical or chemical formulae. Put one occurrence on each card and show one card in a distinguished region.
- ☆Creating and using mnemonics such the colors in a rainbow to remember some *factors* affecting XYZ.